Our small school and small class model will allow consistent focus on every student from enrollment through graduation.
We are committed to ensuring that no child will ‘fall through the cracks’, and that every child will excel in school.
Our mission at Ellington Academy is to use the arts to unleash the academic potential within each child. We view the arts and technology as the touchstone to individual and educational accomplishment. And through art and technology, it is our intent to promote discovery and imagination through our students’ core subjects. Students will learn to construct and demonstrate meaning and understanding through the arts and technology as part of their everyday curriculum.
Whether our students are learning social studies, science or language arts, each core subject will have an integrated arts curricular approach to create learning. As an example, students might produce a play involving music and costuming that mimics a particular era being studied in core subjects or they might study the photography of that reflect and/or respond to the sentiment of a time period.
“The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically…. Intelligence plus character is the goal of true education.” (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.)
English Language Arts
- Reading of both Literature and Informational texts for key ideas and details, craft and structure, integration of knowledge and ideas, and text complexity; reading stories, drama, poetry, and non-fiction.
History/Social Studies includes:
- American and World History, Geography, Economics, Civics/Government
- Knowledge, Critical Reading, Analysis, Argumentation, Inquiry, and Research
- Common Core Values and Citizen Involvement
- Decision Making and Public Issues
Science will include Physical, Life, and Earth Sciences
- Scientific Process, Observation, Measurement, and Lab Skills
- Energy, Electricity, Motion, Matter, Sound and Light, Sun, Stars, and Galaxies
- Human Health and Nutrition, Plants, Animals and Classifications
- Weather, Earth, Water, Rocks and Minerals, Soil and Fossils
- Ratios and proportional relationships, the number system, equations and expressions, geometry, statistics and probability, and measurement
- Solve problems, reason abstractly and quantitatively, use mathematical tools, models, and structure
World Language (Spanish)
- Communication, cultures, global perspective, and comprehension
- Design and develop digital learning for work and responsible citizenry
Physical Education and Health
- Motor skills, knowledge, fitness and physical activity, personal and social behaviors
- Nutrition, social and emotional health, personal health and wellness